Links: Follow @MerrimackBSB
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College baseball team will play American International College on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. at Dr. Arthur and Martha Pappas Filed on the campus of Franklin Pierce University. Originally scheduled to be the Warriors' hope opener from the Warrior Baseball Diamond, the contest was moved to Rindge, N.H. because of the lingering effects of last week's snowstorm on campus.
Date/Time: 3/21 | 7 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (5-10) | AIC (3-9)
Location: Pappas Field | Rindge, N.H.
Last Time Out:
- Playing in their final game of an eight-contest run through the Sunshine State, the Warriors suffered an 8-3 loss against Southern Connecticut State in a game played at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla.
- Redshirt-junior Michael Nocera (Bristol, Conn.) made his first start of the season and worked six innings, allowing five earned runs while striking out six Owls
- Facing a 3-0 deficit entering the fifth inning, graduate shortstop Mike Forgione (North Branford, Conn.) capped off a strong week in Florida with a run-scoring double that scored freshman Thomas Joyce (Newton, Mass.). With two runners on, junior Matt Nicholson (Rockland, Mass.) added a RBI double of his own that tied the game
- A pair of RBI singles in the bottom half immediately allowed Southern Conn. to take the lead back for good. The Owls collected insurance markers in the sixth and seventh innings to complete the five-run triumph
Earlier This Season vs. AIC:
- Senior Joe Velozo (Tewksbury, Mass.) picked up his first win of the season and sophomore Cam Monagle (Cambridge, Mass.) worked nearly four innings to record his first-ever save as the Warriors defeated AIC last Friday, 10-6
- Velozo punched out a career-high four Yellow Jackets over 5.1 IP, allowing five earned runs. Monagle relieved him to work the final 3.2 frames, striking out a personal-best seven batters while relenting just two baserunners
- Six Warriors posted multi-hit efforts including a team-leading three base knocks from junior Mike Hoalcraft (Fayetteville, N.Y.). Redshirt-junior Tyler Lyne (Agawam, Mass.) and senior Cam DiSarcina (Shirley, Mass.) tied for the team high with two RBI each. DiSarcina is currently second in the Northeast-10 Conference with 20 RBI
The Yellow Jackets:
- AIC has three wins through 12 games and has not played since concluding its week in Florida against the Warriors
- Matt Costanza leads the pitching staff with 18.1 innings of work over three starts, collecting a 2-1 record with a 4.50 ERA. Over three appearances and two complete games, Ryan Bruning has a team-best 2.40 ERA
- K.J. White has the highest batting average on the Yellow Jackets, raking at a .481 clip. Matt Krause has totaled four triples and 14 RBI on the year to pace the unit
The Warriors are set to play the Yellow Jackets in a doubleheader on Sunday, with the upcoming contests marked as the NE10 duels between the two programs. First pitch of the opening game is set for 12 p.m.