Men’s Soccer Falters at Saint Michael’s, Drops 3-2 Decision

COLCHESTER, VT – The Merrimack men's soccer team suffered a 3-2 loss Tuesday afternoon at Saint Michael's. The Warriors fall to 8-6-3 on the season and 6-5-1 in the Northeast-10 Conference. The Purple Knights rise to 5-9-2 overall and 3-8-1 in league matches.

Merrimack sits in sixth-place in the Northeast-10 standings with 19 points. The Warriors trail fifth-place Bentley by three points.

Michael Rincon (Medford, MA) tallied Merrimack's first goal of the match in the 17th minute. Evan Burokas (Auburn, MA) slotted a through-ball to Rincon from the opposite side of the field. Rincon beat the Purple Knights' goalkeeper for his second marker of the fall.

Olof Lindhe (Stockholm, Sweden) found the back of the net in the 39th minute to extend the Warriors' lead to two goals. Lindhe tapped in a cross from Victor Plaza (Jundiai, Brazil) for his first tally of the fall.

Merrimack dominated the first 45 minutes, firing 15 shots while allowing just one. The Warriors earned both corner kicks that were awarded in the opening frame.

Saint Michael's stormed back in the second half, scoring two goals in less than a minute to tie the contest at 2-2.

Anthony Stanley headed in the Purple Knights' first marker of the match in the 81st season. Rob Irving and Logan Kingman each earned assists on the goal.

In the 82nd minute of play, Chris Eckels netted the equalizer for his second goal of the year. Philip McCormack picked up a helper of the score.

Stanley buried his second goal of the day with 2:05 remaining in the game to give the hosts a 3-2 advantage. Eric Parziale registered an assist on the play as his lead pass sprung Stanley in on goal alone.

In the second stanza, Saint Michael's owned a 10-2 edge in shots while Merrimack held a 17-11 advantage on the afternoon.

Mattias Drummond (Partille, Sweden) turned aside one shot in the match. Kingman stopped four shots in goal for the Purple Knights.

"We started off really well, scoring twice in the first half. We controlled the play in the first half and we had a lot of chances," said head coach Tony Martone. "We did not finish the game well today. We need to keep our focus and intensity until the final whistle."

The Warriors close out the 2011 campaign on the road at Saint Rose October 28.