NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Following its 30-point regular season and second-place finish in the Northeast-10 Conference, the Merrimack College men's soccer team opens the NE-10 Championship with a quarterfinal matchup on Tuesday night at Martone-Mejail Field against seventh-seeded American International.
Date/Time: 11/1 | 7 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (13-4, 10-3 NE-10) | American International (8-8-1, 6-6-1 NE-10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
2016 NE-10 Championship:
Tuesday, November 1st
Quarterfinals - at Higher Seeds
Match 1: #8 Southern Connecticut at #1 Adelphi (7:00 PM)
Match 2: #7 American International at #2 Merrimack (7:00 PM)
Match 3: #6 Assumption at #3 Le Moyne (1:00 PM)
Match 4: #5 Southern New Hampshire at #4 Franklin Pierce (4:00 PM)
Friday, November 4th
Semifinals - at Higher Seeds
Match 5: Match 1 winner vs. Match 4 winner Time TBD at Higher Seed
Match 6: Match 2 winner vs. Match 3 Time TBD at Higher Seed
Sunday, November 6th
Championship Final at Highest Seed
Match 7: Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 Winner
*The championship game time shall be 1:00 PM.
Last Time Out:
- Merrimack netted a 2-0 win over Saint Michael's on Friday night to conclude the regular season, clinching the second seed in the NE-10 Championship in the process
- Seniors Joseph Briers (Nottingham, England) and Ryan Wine (New Braintree, Mass.) notched second-half goals to lead the team to victory. Wine's strike marked the first goal of his career, while Briers scored his season's first after batting a pair of injuries throughout the fall
- In addition to Briers and Wine, Alexander Alleyne (Swampscott, Mass.), Jaime Cortes Torres (Seville, Spain), Philippe Jean-Baptiste (Worcester, Mass.), William Marcal (Milford, Mass.), Gunnar McCaig (Carver, Mass.), Connor O'Brien (Sandwich, Mass.), Josue Ruiz Maya (Madero, Mexico) and Oscar Zepeda Cagide (Jalisco, Mexico) were honored during the Senior Night ceremony
- Additionally, all ten players started together for the first time in their careers
Earlier This Season vs. AIC:
- Cortes Torres and junior Juan Meza (Cali, Colombia) scored goals for Merrimack, while freshman Sebastian Toro (East Boston, Mass.) added a point to lead the Navy and Gold to a 2-1 win
- Merrimack outshot the Yellow Jackets by 10, 16-6, as Cortes Torres and Alleyne tied for the team high with three attempts each
- Merrimack and American International last met in the postseason in 2012, as in the quarterfinals. After a scoreless first half, the Warriors scored twice in the first seven minutes of the second stanza on their way to a 3-1 victory
The Yellow Jackets
- American International finished the conference slate with 19 points and six league wins to finish seventh in the standings
- The Yellow Jackets ended the regular season with a 5-0 romp of Bentley
- Jake Durham leads the team with seven goals and 18 points. Goalkeeper Sebastian Tamayo has started 14 of 17 games, registering a 1.43 GAA and a .738 save percentage
- As a team, the Yellow Jackets scored 24 goals in NE-10 play, tied for the third most in the conference
If Merrimack wins, the Warriors will play the winner of third-seeded Le Moyne and sixth-seeded Assumption on Friday night in the conference semifinals. If the Warriors lose, Merrimack will await its fate for an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament. The Navy and Gold begin the week ranked fourth in the region, with the top-six programs advancing to the East Regional.