Links: Box Score
BRONX, N.Y. – The regionally ranked Merrimack College men's tennis team played its non-conference finale on Sunday afternoon at the Stadium Tennis Center in the Bronx, N.Y., losing to New York University, 8-1.
Score: NYU 8, Merrimack 1
Records: Merrimack (6-6) |NYU (7-2)
Location: Stadium Tennis Center | Bronx, N.Y.
How It Happened (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Senior captian Nick Majewski (Brewster, Mass.) and junior Mikhail Belov (Krasnoarmeyskoy, Russia) played the closet match of the doubles segment, but lost by a two-game margin, 8-6
- No. 2 – Junior Frank Vega (Lima, Peru) and freshman Alex Fedorov (Guilderland, N.Y.) saw their five-match winning streak snapped at the second flight, 8-3
- No. 3 – The first doubles match of day to finish, NYU went up one points with a victory at the third flight. Senior James Hook (Lynnfield, Mass.) and junior Thomas O'Brien (Lancaster, Pa.) played together as a pairing for the first time this spring
How It Happened (Singles)
- No. 1 – For the first time since October of 2015 and for the second time in his career, Vega played at the first flight against NYU. After losing the first set, Vega took the second frame to a tiebreak, but lost by three points (7-4)
- No. 2 – Majewski played up a flight as well, and mirrored Vega's results also to a tee. After a 6-4 loss, he also took the second set to a breaker before dropping the match
- No. 3 – Merrimack's lone win of the day, Fedorov swept his opponent at the third flight, winning the first set by a 7-5 margin before dispatching his opponent swiftly in the second, 6-1
- No. 4 – The Violents won the bottom three flights in straight sets. Sophomore Alex Slobin (Fairfield, Conn.) played at No. 4 for the first time this spring, losing by set scores of 6-4 and 6-1
- No. 5 – Senior Tayyab Sheikh (Longmeadow, Mass.) returned to the fifth flight, but suffered a two-set defeat (6-1, 6-1)
- No. 6 – Hook played at sixth singles for the first time since the spring opener against Connecticut, winning three games in the first set before a 6-0 blanking in the second
1. Umberto Setter (NYUM) def. Frank Vega (MER-M) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Benedict Teoh (NYUM) def. Nick Majewski (MER-M) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Alex Fedorov (MER-M) def. Matt DeMichiel (NYUM) 7-5, 6-1
4. Xavier Pacthod (NYUM) def. Alex Slobin (MER-M) 6-4, 6-1
5. Vishal Walia (NYUM) def. Tayyab Sheikh (MER-M) 6-1, 6-1
6. Yanick Parsch (NYUM) def. James Hook (MER-M) 6-3, 6-0
Merrimack returns to action on Thursday to conclude the regular season with a five-match run through the Northeast-10 Conference beginning in Worcester, Mass. against Assumption at 3 p.m.