WEST WINDSOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. – After winning its qualifying heat on Sunday morning in the Women's Club Four (Division I/II) race at the Knecht Cup at Mercer Lake in West Windsor Township, N.J., the Merrimack College women's rowing program finished in third place overall on Sunday afternoon in the Grand Final. The Navy and Gold (7:53.69) edged out No. 1 Florida Institute of Technology (7:54.27) by less than a second to claim third place.
Event: Knecht Cup (Club Div. I/II Fours)
Location: Mercer Lake | West Windsor Township, N.J.
Top Finisher (Heat 2): Merrimack | 7:48.54
Top Finisher (Grand Final): Lafayette | 7:34.22
Coxswain: Jess Khoury (Bay Shore, N.Y.)
Stroke: Tasha Wypych (Wellington, New Zealand)
Third Seat: Ashley Augulewicz (Beverly, Mass.)
Second Seat: Amy Wengefeld (Old Saybrook, Conn.)
Bow: Lauren Blazon (Lowell, Mass.)
What They Said:
Head coach Dave Lefebvre: "I am proud of how we raced considering how little time we've had to prepare on the water. This was a good way to start the season and sets us up well for a successful Spring."
How It Happened
- After high winds moved the qualifying heat from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning, Merrimack's fours boat got off to a scorching start to win its heat by over six seconds. The Warriors finished ahead of No. 5 Nova Southeastern as well as Division I crews from Pittsburgh and Charleston
- The Warriors bested last year's finish in the qualifying heat at the Knecht Cup by over 30 seconds, as the Warriors posted a time of 8:19.10 to finish third in 2016
- Merrimack took home the bronze in the Grand Final, posting a time of 7:53.69, falling about 18 seconds short of the pace set by Lafayette (7:34.22)
- The Warriors bested a trio of ranked Division II boats in the final – including top-ranked Florida Institute of Technology – beating out the No. 1 Division II boat per the latest College Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) by less than a second. The Warrios also finished ahead of Nova Southeastern (8:04.91) once again and also Philadelphia University (8:16.32), who received votes in the national poll
- Dating back to 2015, the Warriors have now posted three straight top-three finishes at the Knecht Cup after competing in the national regatta for the first time as a program in 2014
1) Merrimack (7:48.54)
2) Nova Southeastern (7:54.89)
3) Pittsburgh B (8:24.10)
4) Charleston B (8:50.11)
5) Stevens (9:18.92)
Grand Final Results:
1) Lafayette (7:34.22)
2) New Hampshire A (7:43.83)
3) Merrimack (7:53.69)
4) Florida Tech (7:54.27)
5) Nova Southeastern (8:04.91)
6) Philadelphia (8:16.32
7) Nova Southeastern (8:30.54)
Merrimack returns to the water this weekend when the Warriors compete in the UMass Lowell Invitational on the Merrimack River in Lowell, Mass.