LOWELL, Mass. – The Merrimack College women's rowing program's JV Fours boat took home a silver medal on Saturday at the New England Rowing Championships at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass., highlighting the performance for the Warriors. Merrimack's Varsity Fours crew had its Grand Final cancelled due to high winds after qualifying in its qualifying heat in the morning.
Event: New England Rowing Championships
Location: Lake Quinsigamond | Worcester, Mass.
Lineup (Varsity Fours):
Coxswain: Jess Khoury (Bay Shore, N.Y.)
Stroke: Tasha Wypych (Wellington, New Zealand)
Third Seat: Ashley Augulewicz (Beverly, Mass.)
Second Seat: Amy Wengefeld (Old Saybrook, Conn.)
Bow: Lauren Blazon (Lowell, Mass.)
Lineup (Second Varsity Fours):
Coxswain: Claire Foley (Foxborough, Mass.)
Stroke: Quezia Lacerda (Saugus, Mass.)
Third Seat: Katherine Lawless (Lynnfield, Mass.)
Second Seat: Arpi Parseghian (Arlington, Mass.)
Bow: Emily Crowe (Ridgewood, N.J.)
How It Happened
- Merrimack's JV Fours boat qualified as the sixth and final team in its qualifying heat, finishing with a time of 6:42.35 to best the seventh-place team by over three seconds
- In the final, the Warriors surged forward to top Connecticut College by less than a second to cross the finish line in second for the silver. The Warriors also beat programs from New Hampshire, Bates and UMass Lowell
- Merrimack's top-flight fours crew qualified in fourth place, racing a steady pace that they believed that could increase in the Grand Final. The Warriors finished over 15 seconds ahead of the seventh-place boat, with the top-six advancing to the Grand Final
- With the Grand Final cancelled, the top-six times from the qualifying heat were considered as the final times.
Varsity Four Results (Qualifying Heats):
1) UMass Lowell 6:11.92
2) Connecticut College 6:16.25
3) Bowdoin 6:16.51
4) Merrimack 6:19.61
JV Four Results:
1) Williams 10:02.07
2) Merrimack 10:08.37
3) Connecticut College 10:08.55
4) Bates 10:19.07
The Warriors conclude their spring season at the Dad Vail Regatta in Philadelphia, Pa. next weekend.