Links: Full Results
WEST CHESTER, Pa. – The Merrimack College women's golf team placed second at the Dr. Edwin B. Cottrell Invite, which concluded Monday afternoon at Penn Oaks Golf Club. The two-round tournament, which was hosted by West Chester University, began yesterday, but the first round was suspended due to darkness and was completed this morning before the golfers played on through the conclusion of the second round.
Team Finish (Strokes/Place): 333-339—672 (+104) | 2nd/12
Top Finisher: Krystal Knight (79-82—161/+11) | 3rd
Location: Penn Oaks Golf Club | West Chester, Pa.
How It Happened
- The tournament began yesterday, but only two of the 12 teams that participated managed to complete their first round. The remainder of the first round was finished this morning, as Merrimack ranked third at the conclusion of the first 18 holes after combining to shoot a 49-over-par 333.
- Despite the quick turnaround, the Warriors then combined to card a 55-over-par 339, climbing from third place into second and missing out on the tournament's team title by just one stroke.
- Sophomore Krystal Knight (Groveland, Mass.) led the Warriors with two of her best rounds of the spring, placing third individually in both rounds and for the overall tournament leader board thanks to scores of 79 and 82. Knight posted a 19-over-par 161 for the tournament.
- Junior Jessica Wagner (San Diego, Calif.) was the next-best Merrimack contributor and finished in a three-way tie for seventh place. She continued her consistent play in the second semester with scores of 84 and 85, carding a 27-over-par 169.
- Classmate Alessandra Ricigliano (Scarsdale, N.Y.) rounded out Merrimack's top-three with an 11th-place finish. She recorded scores of 87 and 84 to earn a spot just outside of the top-10.
- Senior Samantha Monaco (Brewster, N.Y.) turned in a career performance in the first round, tying her career-high with an 83 score. She then carded a 90 to finish tied for 16th in the tournament with a 31-over-par 173.
- Sophomore Olivia Dempster (Aukland, New Zealand) rounded out the Merrimack field in a tie for 29th place. Her two-day score of 39-over-par 181 included a score of 88 in the second round.
3rd – Knight (79-82—161/+19)
T-7th – Wagner (84-85—169/+27)
T-11th –Ricigliano (87-84—171/+29)
T-16th – Monaco (83-90—173/+31)
T-29th – Dempster (93-88—181/+39)
1st – Franklin Pierce (328-343—671/+103)
2nd – Merrimack (333-339—672/+104)
12th – Saint Rose (410-409—819/+251)
Merrimack concludes the regular season at the Saint Rose Women's Spring Classic next Friday and Saturday, April 21-22, at Pinehaven Country Club in Guilderland, New York.