Women's Lacrosse Defeated by #13 Stonehill College, 13-3, in Northeast-10 Action
WARRIORS DROP NE-10 ROAD CONTEST TO SKYHAWKS WEDNESDAY EVENING UNDER THE LIGHTS
Links: Box Score
EASTON, Mass. – Three different Merrimack players registered a goal, but the Merrimack College women's lacrosse team fell to No. 13 Stonehill College Wednesday evening, 13-3, at W.B. Mason Stadium in Easton, Mass.
Score: #13 Stonehill 13, Merrimack 3
Records: Merrimack (2-12, 1-9 NE-10) | #13 Stonehill (9-5, 8-2 NE-10)
Location: W.B. Mason Stadium | Easton, Mass.
How It Happened
For the remainder of the half, Stonehill pushed its lead to 10 (11-1) heading into halftime. The Skyhawks held a 25-2 edge in shots as well as an 8-5 edge in draw controls.
Four minutes into the second half, senior Dara Hayes (Calgary, Alberta) recorded the Warriors second goal of the game off a free position shot. With the clock winding down, the Skyhawks went on a 2-0 scoring run to take a commanding 13-2 lead with 11:55 left to play.
Less than seven minutes to play in regulation, freshman Megan Fero (East Manlius, N.Y.) found the back of the net to bring the score to within 10 (13-3). However, Fero's tally would prove to be the final tally for Merrimack as they drop to 1-9 in Northeast-10 action, losing by a score of 13-3.
Senior goalkeeper Inna Hedden (Woodbine, Md.) tallied nine saves in the loss while Ashley Armstrong recorded two saves in the 13-3 win.
Inside the Numbers
- Merrimack recorded 18 turnovers while causing four of Stonehill's eight turnovers.
- The Warriors were 2-of-5 in free position shots and 6-of-11 in clears.
- Kelsey Shannahan and Elizabeth Vetter posted a team-high three goals for the Skyhawks.
- Stonehill held a 26-13 advantage in ground balls.
- Hedden led the team with a three ground balls while junior Christine Keenan (Byfield, Mass.) and freshman Clare Blomberg (Wading River, N.Y.) scooped up two ground balls each.
Merrimack returns to action on Saturday, April 19, as the Warriors travel to New Haven, Conn. to take on Southern Connecticut State University. Opening draw is scheduled for 1 p.m.