Links: Box Score
ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The Merrimack College women's lacrosse team posted its first victory of the season on Sunday, topping Roberts Wesleyan College, 15-11, on a cold afternoon in Rochester, New York.
Score: Merrimack 15, Roberts Wesleyan 11
Records: Merrimack (1-2) | Roberts Wesleyan (1-3)
Location: RWC Lacrosse Field | Rochester, N.Y.
- In a wire-to-wire victory, Merrimack scored 42 seconds into the game and never looked back, as the Warriors built a two-goal lead at the break (7-5) after building as large as a three-point advantage. Roberts Wesleyan had an answer for each of Merrimack's first three goals, but the hosts would never get closer than one goal the rest of the way.
- After each side traded goals over the first 10 minutes of the second half to keep Merrimack's lead at one (9-8), the Warriors would outscore the Redhawks by double (6-3) the rest of the way, as three different players recorded hat tricks to round out the Navy and Gold's most effective offensive outing of the year.
- Sophomore Bridget Schofield (Littleton, Mass.) led Merrimack with her best offensive outing of her career, finishing with a personal-best five goals on nine shot attempts to account for a stellar individual performance.
- Junior Annette Ruggiero (Peabody, Mass.) was next on the list with a career-tying four-goal performance, as she continued her torrid start to her season; her eight shots on goal led all Warriors on the afternoon, as well.
- Finally, sophomore Amber Feminella (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) – after being kept off the score sheet in the first two games this year – had an emphatic answer on Sunday with her first hat trick of the young season. Last year's leading scorer also finished with an assist to tally a four-point outing (3g, 1a).
- Senior Hunter McCarthy (Avon, Conn.) also posted four points on two goals and two helpers, while rookie Kyra Schwartzman (Kennebunk, Maine) rounded out the group of Merrimack scorers with her third career tally, as well.
Team Leaders (MC // RMC)
- Points: Schofield (5) // Cassley Jackowski (8)
- Goals: Schofield (5) // Jackowski (6)
- Assists: McCarthy (2) // Jackowski (2)
- Draw Controls: Schofield (5) // Jessica Giancurslo (3)
- Caused Turnovers: Feminella (3) // Shannon Knapp (4)
- Saves: Alexa Petzold (9) // Shannon Knapp (13)
Team Comparisons (MC // RMC)
- Shots (Total/SOG): 36/28 // 20/20
- Draw Controls: 14 // 13
- Ground Balls: 16 // 20
- Clears: 15-16 // 13-15
- Turnovers: 14// 22
Merrimack concludes its two-game spring break road trip when it visits Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) member Wilmington (Del.) next Thursday (March 16). First whistle is set for 4 p.m.