Links: Box Score
MANCHESTER, N.H. – Three different players recorded hat tricks while freshman Olivia Colletti (Massapequa, N.Y.) led all Warriors with four goals, but the Merrimack College women's lacrosse team was held off by Saint Anselm, 19-13, in a Northeast-10 Conference matchup on Wednesday afternoon at Grappone Stadium.
Score: Saint Anselm 19, Merrimack 13
Records: Merrimack (3-9, 1-7 NE10) | Saint Anselm (6-7, 4-5 NE10)
Location: Grappone Stadium | Manchester, N.H.
- The majority of the first half was a track meet, as the two teams combined for 20 tallies and went goal-for-goal over the majority of the stanza.
- Merrimack had the game's first goal, but that prompted a back-and-forth run that saw three lead changes and five instances in which the game was tied.
- Neither side's goal grew to more than one until a run of four straight Saint Anselm markers pushed the Hawks up by three (8-5), and then a 3-1 scoring run over the final three minutes of the half gave the Hawks a 12-8 advantage at the break.
- The Warriors quickly cut that deficit to two (12-10) in the early goings of the second half, but that was the closest they would get the rest of the way, as the Hawks scored seven of the next 10 goals to account for the final margin of victory.
Highlights and Notables
- Colletti posted one of three hat tricks with a four-goal outing, finishing one goal shy of her career-high. It marked her third hat trick of her rookie year.
- Freshman Kyra Schwartzman (Kennebunk, Maine) set a new career-high with an even three-goal outing, recording a hat trick for the first time in her career.
- Sophomore Amber Feminella (Cortlandt, N.Y.) had Merrimack's third and final hat trick and tied Colletti for the team lead with four points (3g, 1a); it was her fourth hat trick of the season.
- Junior Annette Ruggiero (Peabody, Mass.) had a multi-goal outing with two goals and a helper, while junior Emma Bonassar (Wallingford, Conn.) and freshman Ally DaCosta (New Bedford, Mass.) had a goal and an assist, respectively.
Team Leaders (MC // STA)
- Points: Colletti/Feminella (4) // Erica Matilla (6)
- Goals: Colletti (4) // Matilla (5)
- Assists: Three players (1) // Three players (1)
- Draw Controls: Three players (2) // Emma Palumbo (8)
- Ground Balls: Lauren Trepaney (4) // Liv Connly (5)
- Caused Turnovers: Four players (1) // Two players (2)
- Saves: Trepaney (9) // Zoie Cavotta (3)
Team Comparisons (MC // STA)
- Shots (Total/SOG): 16/16 // 33/28
- Draw Controls: 10 // 23
- Ground Balls: 16 // 17
- Clears: 13-16 // 11-15
- Turnovers: 18 // 19
Merrimack returns home to host third-ranked Le Moyne College this Friday (April 14) at 12 p.m. Prior to the contest, the athletic department will honor the team's five graduating seniors on Senior day.