WALTHAM, MA- The Merrimack women's tennis team suffered a 5-4 setback on the road at Bentley Tuesday afternoon. The loss pushes the Warriors to 8-12 overall and 7-4 in the Northeast-10 Conference. The Falcons improve to 7-10 on the year and 7-3 in the league.
"We played hard all match long and it was a close contest," said head coach Sean Tully. "We will look to gain upon today's match with just a few matches left."
Bentley claimed a 2-1 lead at the start of singles play after earning two doubles wins on the day. Merrimack's lone victory came at the No. 3 doubles spot as Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Erin McMahon (Wilmington, MA) prevailed 7-0 in a tiebreaker to capture a 9-8 win.
The two squads split the six singles matches with the Warriors triumphing at the top three slots. Messina posted a 6-1, 6-1 victory of the No. 1 position. Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) cruised to a 6-0 win in set one before dropping the second set 6-3. The sophomore rebounded to claim a 6-4 victory in the third set at the No. 2 spot. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) picked up a 6-3, 6-1 win at the No. 3 slot.
Merrimack will remain on the road as it visits American International April 12.
1. Sotomayor/Litten (BEN) def. Garvey/Barnes (MER) 8-1
2. Murphy/Scott (BEN) def. Hole/Fitzgerald (MER) 8-4
3. McMahon/Messina (MER) def. Herbert/Hayes (BEN) 9-8 (0)
1. Messina (MER) def. Sotomayor (BEN) 6-1, 6-1
2. Hole (MER) def. Murphy (BEN) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
3. Garvey (MER) def. Litten (BEN) 6-3, 6-1
4. Herbert (BEN) def. Barnes (MER) 6-0, 6-3
5. Van Galst (BEN) def. Fitzgerald (MER) 6-4, 6-4
6. Adondakis (BEN) def. McMahon (MER) 6-4, 6-4