SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Headlined by two individual first-place finihses from sophmore sprinter Michaela Pernell (Naugatuck, Conn.), the Merrimack College women's track & field team competed its way to a fifth-place finish in a 18-team field at the Yellow Jacket Invitational at American International College Saturday.
Event: AIC Yellow Jacket Invitational
Team Finish: 5th/20
Top Finishers: Pernell (1st – 100m, 200m)
Location: American International College | Springfield, Mass.
How It Happened
- Following up her first individual appearance at Indoor Nationals this past winter, Pernell continues her strong sophomore season with two event victories at AIC on Saturday. Pernell won the 100m dash with a time of 11.98, then followed that up with a victory in the 200m dash at a time of 24.48. That time is second-fastest in the conference this season, qualifies for New England's and is an NCAA provisional qualifier.
- Senior captain Sarah Barnett (Bridgewater, Mass.) contributed to the team's fifth-place finish with a runner-up performance in the long jump. Barnett finished second with a 4.96m jump, good enough to qualify for NE10's. Fellow senior captain Claire Aalerud (Winchester, Mass.) added a fourth-place finish in the 5000m with a personal-best time of 18:50.61.
- Merrimack's veterans would come through across the board at AIC Saturday, as senior Colleen Englert (Fayetteville, N.Y.) added a sixth-place finish in the 5000m behind Aalerud at 19:04.36. Classmate and captain Olivia Downey (Melrose, Mass.) would finish eighth in the high jump with a 1.50m jump.
- Also adding a strong performance in field events for the Warriors, senior Sarah Muolo (Stoneham, Mass.) finished seventh in the pole vault with the second-best vault in school history at 2.80m.
- The Warriors also saw a strong relay finish as the 4x400m team of freshman Hannah Schnyder (Freeport, Maine), sophomore Margaret Byrne (West Hartford, Conn.) and juniors Hannah Tavares (Cumberland, R.I.) and Kylie Chartier (Phillipston, Mass.) ran to a sixth-place finish in the event with a time of 4:25.17.
The Warriors are back in action next weekend with meets at Connecticut College and New Hampshire.