EASTON, Mass. – Senior Denzel Livingston (Billerica, Mass.) won the long jump for his first career league title to highlight the Merrimack College men's and women's track & field teams' performance at the first day of the 2017 Northeast-10 Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships held at Stonehill.
Event/Location: 2017 NE10 Championships | Stonehill College (Easton, Mass.)
Team Rank: Men: 5th/11 | Women: T-10th/10
Top Finisher: Men: Denzel Livingston (1st Long Jump) | Katherine Ferrara (6th 10,000m)
Top Men's Performances
- Long Jump: Livingston claimed his first-ever league title in the long jump, winning the event with a final distance of 6.84 meters. The graduate student cleared the next closest competitors by .02 meters and secured 10 points in the team standings with the victory. He earned all-conference first team honors in the process. Sophomore Michael Cuesta (South Portland, Maine) also had a strong showing in the long jump, placing eighth with a distance of 6.47 meters, garnering another point in the standings for the Warriors.
- Javelin: Freshman Jake Fogarty (Methuen, Mass.) placed sixth in the javelin throw with a distance of 53.45 meters. His best toss was his last one, which garnered three points in the team standings. Fellow rookie Kevin Russo (Wakefield, Mass.) was right behind Fogarty in the javelin, placing seventh with 52.72 meters.
- 10,000m: Senior Phil Harris (Plymouth, Mass.) found a podium spot by ranking third in the 10,000-meter race, running the event in 31:47.81, picking up six more points in the process for the Warriors.
- 4x800m Relay: Juniors Connor Murphy (Paxton, Mass.), Keith Steinbrecher (Wading River, N.Y.) and Niall Coughlin (Castleton, N.Y.) and freshman Daniel Leto (Fairfield, Conn.) combined to finish sixth, as the quartet posted a time of 7:57.64.
Top Women's Performances
- 10,000m: Freshman Katherine Ferrara (Norfolk, Mass.) placed sixth in the 10,000-meter race, posting a time of 40:18.69 in the rookie's first-ever showing at the league's outdoor championships.
- 4x800m Relay: Sophomore Margaret Byrne (West Hartford, Conn.) and juniors Hannah Tavares (Cumberland, R.I.), Kylie Chartier (Phillipston, Mass.) and Kylie Reardon (Billerica, Mass.) ran to a sixth-place team finish, posting a time of 9:49.44.
- Pole Vault: Seniors Emily Mauro (Northboro, Mass.) and Sarah Muolo (Stoneham, Mass.) both finished in the top-eight with a distance of 2.91 meters, tying for eighth with that mark.
Highlights and Notables
- A number of Warriors posted impressive performances in the preliminary rounds of their respective events, including two in the top-five for the 60-meter dash and the No. 2 finisher in the 200-meter preliminary race.
- Freshman Ryan Nesta (Milford, Mass.) is halfway through the Decathlon and posted third-place finishes in the 100-meter dash (11.56), 400-meter run (52.50) and high jump (1.82m).
- Sophomore Michaela Pernell (Naugatuck, Conn.) also is the No. 1 seed in the 100-meter dash after the preliminaries, while senior Carly Muscaro (Ashland, Mass.) and Pernell posted provisional times in the 200-meter dash preliminary race at 23.82 and 24.21, respectively, to advance to the finals of that race.
- Senior Sarah Barnett (Bridgewater, Mass.) and freshman Gabrielle Eldridge (Easton, Mass.) finished 1-2 in the shot put round of the Heptathlon with distance of 11.44 and 11.23 meters, respectively. Barnett also ranked second in the 200-meter dash (26.81) and 100-meter hurdles (15.55) segments of the seven-round event.
Merrimack will return to Stonehill to finish the league championships on Sunday (May 8).