WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Highlighted by New England titles from senior captain Carly Muscaro (Ashland, Mass.), sophomore Michaela Pernell (Naugatuck, Conn.) and the 4x100m relay team, the Merrimack College women's track & field team posted an impressive eighth-place team finish out of 32 squads at the New England (NEICAAA) Championships at Williams College this past weekend.
Event: 2017 NEICAAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships
Host/Location: Williams College | Williamstown, Mass.
Team Rank: 8th/39
- Just a week after being named the Most Outstanding Track Athlete of the Meet at the Northeast-10 Conference Championships, Muscaro again was a cut above leading up to the NCAA Championships. Muscaro won the New England title in the 400m dash with the fastest time in the nation this season at 52.57.
- Pernell followed up the first outdoor title of her career in the 100m dash at NE10's last week with another title in the same event, claiming the 100m New England crown with a time of 12.01, running a 11.91 preliminary time. She would also add a third-place finish in the 200m with a personal-best time of 24.70, ranking 24th in the nation this season.
- Muscaro and Pernell also contributed to a pair of strong relay performances, including another title in the 4x100m relay. The pair would be joined by juniors Carol Dimaiti (Medford, Mass.) and Leniesha Williams (Bennington, Vt.) to win the event with a time of 47.33. The two would also run with senior captain Olivia Downey (Melrose, Mass.) and freshman Savanna Spencer (Seabrook, N.H.) to finish second in the 4x400m with a time of 3:45.45, ranking 17th in the nation this season.
- Downey would also add a strong performance in the 400m hurdles after posting a career run in the event at NE10's last week. The senior would finish 11th at New England's with a time of 1:03.37. On the track, fellow senior captain Claire Aalerud (Winchester, Mass.) would finish 23rd in the 5000m with a time of 18:25.47.
- Rounding out the Warriors' performance at New England's were junior Lauren MacGregor (Salem, N.H.) with an eighth-place finish in the triple jump at 11.36m, and senior captain Sarah Barnett (Bridgewater, Mass.) finishing 10th in the Heptathlon with 4155 points.
The Warriors will now await word on whether or not its student-athletes who have hit NCAA provisional qualifying marks will be selected to the 2017 NCAA Division II Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Bradenton, Florida on May 25-27. Muscaro automatically qualified for the 400-meter dash and owns a top-eight time in the 200-meter dash and will likely compete in both events there.